Roche ⟩ Principal User Experience Designer
Roche is looking for a Principal User Experience Designer to join our Diagnostic Information Solutions (DIS) group in Santa Clara, CA. This position will report to the Director of UX/UI Design and will work closely with UX researchers, product managers, other UX designers and engineers from initial concept and strategy through the execution of interaction and visual design. We are looking for a passionate designer who will play an important role in defining our experience, look, feel and style. This position requires a laser-like focus on user-centered design and a passion for simple, well-executed design.
As part of the Roche DIS User Experience team, you will be expected to tackle tough problems with elegant solutions. This position requires a proven track record of design and user-centered innovation. We're passionate about doing now what patients need next. Come help us design the future!
Our ideal candidate is an overall design generalist and interaction design expert who is as comfortable hashing out big-picture workflow and strategy as they are prototyping detailed visual and interaction execution.
What You'll Do:
- Work with a cross-functional team to design a delightful user experience by translating product requirements into engaging design concepts and simple interaction models
- Concept intuitive designs that promote usability and optimize the user experience of our products. Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions
- Design and deliver initial concept designs, user flows, wireframes, usage scenarios, user journeys, and mockups that lead to intuitive user experiences
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features
- Conduct heuristic evaluations on existing products
- Develop new approaches to complex design problems and convey these designs in the form of presentations, mockups, and design specifications
- Work with product managers to understand business needs/priorities and balance these with user requirements. Work with engineers on interface implementation
- Ensure interfaces are held to a consistently high standard of user-centered design and rapidly test and iterate your designs
- Partner with user researchers and influence insight studies related to the discovery and understanding of unresolved interface problems and needs
- Continuously challenge the effectiveness of design, stay up to date on behavioral analytics, monitor success metrics, and recommend changes as appropriate
- Contribute to overall design framework to ensure consistent experiences across suite of products
- Work seamlessly with other UX designers, whether part of the in-house team or an external agency
- Ask thoughtful questions, take risks and champion new ideas
- Lead the design activities of one or more other team members
- Stay current with trends, best practices, and methodologies in areas of UX, information architecture, UI design
- Bring your UX expertise to the cross functional product team, think deeply about complex experience challenges, and propose effective and elegant solutions
- Operate effectively both when collaborating with other UX designers across products but also when operating autonomously as the only UX designer within a product
- Complete UX deliverables on time, at a top quality, and that demonstrate clear expertise in overall user experience and detailed interactions
Who You Are:
- 8+ years as an interaction and/or visual designer, creating excellent user interfaces that delight the user
- A well-grounded sense of interactive design with respect to creating simple, elegant, aesthetically pleasing interfaces based on usability principles
- Extensive experience thinking in terms of end-to-end UI design, applying strategic thinking and business goals to designs, focusing on user feedback, and understanding the relation of visual design to the interaction
- Equally successful in projects where you are collaborating with other UX designers and where you are working autonomously as the sole UX expert on a product team
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, equally at ease speaking with development teams or executives when articulating and advocating design concepts and rationale, negotiating and influencing to build consensus
- Excellent time-management and the ability to quickly prioritize tasks and work autonomously
- Expert in standard UX software such as Sketch, OmniGraffle, Axure, InVision, UXPin, Balsamiq and the like
- Bachelors Degree in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Passionate about resolving user pain points through great design
- High degree of creativity and problem solving from big picture to little details, you move nimbly between strategy and execution
- A positive attitude, open mind, and a desire to collaborate and learn
- Enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and you iterate quickly, incorporating feedback
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
We believe it's urgent to deliver medical solutions right now - even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients' lives. We are courageous in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
We are proud of who we are, what we do, and how we do it. We are many, working as one across functions, across companies, and across the world.
We are Roche.