Travelers ⟩ Customer Experience Design Thinking (HCD) Lead
NOTE: Candidates within a 2-3 hour commute of Hartford, CT will be considered for this role. The expectation is that the selected candidate will travel in to Hartford two to four times a month as needed.
Are you a design and experience strategy leader ready for your next challenge?
Do you crave the opportunity to work on complex problems and systems? Can you
envision ambitious new experiences and services that have the potential to
transform a large, well-established enterprise for the experience economy? If
so, we have a great opportunity for you.
As an Experience Design Lead on the Enterprise Customer Experience team, you
will lead and facilitate strategic design activities at various stages in the
journey definition and design lifecycle.
In close collaboration with other functions, you will employ iterative service design approaches to create understanding of customer needs, conceive of compelling new experiences, and deliver valuable solutions for clients, agents, and employees.
As our Experience Design capability grows and matures within the company, you will be a key leader helping to identify, refine, and establish effective practices for research, ideation, co-creation, experimentation, and communication. You will also be an advocate for outside-in, human-centered design thinking and action, contributing to adoption and maturity across the company.
Note - This role does not manage staff.
The Customer Experience Design Thinking Lead is part of our Enterprise Journey Transformation team. In this role, you will be responsible for assisting in the definition and re-imagination of customer journeys. You will create compelling solution concepts based on customer research, business objectives, and industry trends. As a key partner in our journey transformation initiatives, you will work with journey owners, experience designers, and technology leads to ensure an outside-in, experience-led approach is used to design and prioritize improved and new service offerings. You will also contribute to the development of the Experience Design practice within CX and enterprise-wide, by defining, piloting, and supporting tools and practices that advance the maturity of the function.
- Facilitate design thinking activities throughout the journey lifecycle
- Lead journey re-designs by planning and guiding human-centered methods and zero-based design exercises for a wide range of audiences with a focus on the customer experience
- Work closely with other functions to define the strategic design activities that create greater understanding and alignment around aspirational, differentiated customer experiences
- Tailor design and research approaches to any audience and adjust plans and priorities to fit the changing landscape
- Partner with other research functions to define, plan, and execute customer/user research, such as interviews, ethnographic studies, concept testing, and more
- Interpret research findings to generate insights that support the development of future state vision and solution concepts
- Articulate latent customer needs, future experience visions, and other key insights to stakeholders through empathy driven storytelling
- Serve as an advocate and champion for a customer-centric, research-based, and design-infused culture to stakeholders who may lack experience in working with design as a strategic partner
- Provide clear, well-supported perspectives on contemporary experience design practices and how they integrate with our agile work processes in order to deliver next generation user experiences for new technologies and service offerings
- Work within our Enterprise Experience Design Chapter to lead efforts to grow and mature our practices, tools, and culture
- Contribute to establishing our operational systems for design and research, including evaluating and engaging with internal groups and platform vendors
- Help to grow the design function at Travelers through recruiting, coaching, and mentoring other designers
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in customer experience, UX design, human centered design, design thinking, or facilitation or related.
- Background/degree in human factors, design, business, market research, innovation or similar field
- 7+ years of experience planning, conducting, and communicating the findings from user research (qualitative and quantitative)
- Experience with leading Customer Experience engagements.
- Experience with workshop facilitation
- Experience with agile methodology
- Certification in Human Centered Design and/or Design Thinking
- Extensive facilitation experience
- Demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Experience planning and conducting both quantitative and qualitative user research at all stages of product development
- Ability to frame key questions, create research plans to address those, conduct research, and synthesize the findings into meaningful, actionable insights
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork attitude
- Deep expertise in interaction design, information architecture, and workflow analysis
- Fluent with Agile software development methods and tools
- Strong portfolio of applying user-centered design practices in the development of products and services
- Comprehensive knowledge of researching design trends and interpreting/applying them at the appropriate time
- Experience in evaluating solutions using: design trends, heuristic reviews, competitive benchmarking, formative, and summative usability studies
- Ability to design and conduct concept testing and solution experiments - i.e. identify potential solution options for a stated user need and design experiments that lead to greater understanding and guide teams to the most viable and desirable solution for users
- Knowledge of creating low-fidelity to high-fidelity prototypes
- Experience working with third party suppliers, partners
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally