Northwestern Mutual ⟩ Experience Design Strategist
A strategist role in the EXD team is a pivotal design role. The person in this role takes a holistic view of the end-to-end series of touchpoints and interactions involved in the Northwestern Mutual brand experience. This role understands the dynamics of how human interactions with systems and processes inform and shape the front stage experiences for clients, field representatives, and home office employees. This person in this role is to adapt to problem finding AND problem-solving and using these insights to guide the design and execution of Northwestern Mutual's service experience. This role requires the ability to zoom in to see AND communicate human pain points and process breakdowns, and zoom out to help craft strategy/s that delivercompetitive-advantage in the way Northwestern Mutual serves it, clients. This role is unapologetically human-centered. This role understands the trade-offs between efficiency and usability and can facilitate the understanding of these trade-offs to teams and those responsible for change. Lastly, the person in this role has experience applying the methods and principles of lean process improvement, learning and development, design thinking and change management to create forward-looking experience design principles.
What you'll be doing
- Fostering partnerships and collaborating with business-stakeholders to meet key business outcomes and craft highly relevant end-user experiences.
- Helping teams see the relationship between people, processes, and systems and the moments of truth they create.
- Help shape experience strategy by applying a depth of knowledge about people, processes, and systems.
- Informing (guiding and shaping) the work of the design team with insights about Northwestern Mutual's end-to-end experience for customers, partners, and employees.
- Working with our design and research team to author actionable insights execution plans.
- Develop and prioritize initiatives with understood learning and business objectives based on data-informed insights.
- Facilitate co-creation workshops with relevant stakeholders, SMEs, and other collaborators.
- Build and maintain key relationships with process owners and business leads.
- Act as a process-oriented design ambassador to the broader organization.
- Help the design team and product owners see around corners using the end-to-end process and systems insight.
Bring your best! What this role needs
A qualified Experience Strategist can demonstrate the following experience & skills:
- Build and maintain key stakeholder relationships with process and initiative owners.
- Ability to navigate a large complex organizational culture systems structure.
- Comfort with both problem finding and problem solving at a systems level.
- Able to translate metrics and performance criteria into design principles and criteria.
- Be analytically, insightful, and strategically informative.
- Comfortable and experienced navigating people, process, and systems.
- Respectful of the tension between performance and transformation.
- Able to point out blind spots and interdependencies associated with improving end-to-end human and digital systems.
- Able to bridge the worlds of process design and human-centered experience and service design.
- Experience communicating with senior-level executives about your team's work, and demonstrating how it aligns to stated OKR's.
- Be a strong advocate for design and lean methods, processes, and tools.
- Be strategic and outcome-oriented and present your work based on a critical eye to the business.
- Able to influence partners, peers, and stakeholders, as well as to communicate requirements, requests, and responses.
- Proven experience directly shaping people, process and systems architecture
- Experience in a regulated industry like financial/banking, insurance, &/or healthcare
- Experience designing / contributing to end-to-end journey blueprints
- Creating process improvement roadmaps, blueprints, and journey maps
Things that we value:
Able to see the big picture:
- Leaning in and contributing
- Transparency and Openness
- Teach by doing; learn by teaching
- Passion for the craft
- A strong point of view with a healthy dose of humility
- A collaborative mindset, thick skin and a great sense of humor
- Ability to navigate ambiguity successfully
- Willingness to take risks and bounce back
- Expect work to be done on time
Self improvement and reinvention:
- Growth Mindset
- Curious minds and an appetite for learning
- Be engaged and present
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equalopportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Northwestern Mutual
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.