Varian Medical Systems ⟩ Senior Interaction Designer
Are you interested in partnering with customers to develop leading solutions for advancing cancer treatment? Do you want to collaborate with a talented group of peers who will inspire you every day? To lead some of our key strategic initiatives, we're looking for a Senior Interaction Designer to join our user experience team and help bring effective, efficient, experiences to our customers, so they can provide safe and meaningful oncology care.
The senior interaction designer will join us in either our Montreal, Canada office or remotely in North America, and will focus on shaping our next generation oncology care and delivery products and solutions. A successful candidate will partner with user experience specialists, product managers, medical practitioners and engineers around the world to solve complex problems with simple, intuitive, yet powerful designs.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team to deliver compelling UX solutions, while being capable of acknowledging limitations and trade-offs. Negotiate design requirements with Product Managers and Engineering Leads.
- Design for the extremes and produce an array of divergent design solutions informed by a wide variety of data sources.
- Evaluate proposed design solutions against pre-determined quality and success criteria and be able to articulate the rationale behind design decisions.
- Produce a wide variety of design artifacts from Interaction Models to pixel perfect designs to effectively communicate design concepts.
- Work closely with researchers to plan research activities and uncover unmet needs and constantly validate that the design solutions meet all safety requirements.
- Partner with design peers to develop and evolve the long-term UX strategy for our internal tools to ensure UX is always at the heart of every development.
- Actively engage with other designers to give and solicit feedback to continually ensure that design solutions are smart and safe to use.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience delivering great experience design as UX designer, interaction designer, information architect or similar.
- Advanced design & prototyping skills; we use Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, and we are open to experimenting with other tools that can help the team.
- Excellent analytical abilities, especially about understanding user behavior and design theories.
- Strong experience working side-by-side with engineers and product managers to build intuitive designs.
- Demonstrable will to solve problems, big and small, glamorous or not for all kinds of users.
- Understanding of the importance of setting aside the time and space to learn and grow your design practice.
- Great communication and presentation skills that speak to a broad range of audiences.
- Experience working in healthcare domain with design control, regulatory practices and standards for medical devices or similar regulated industry is an asset.
- Have an online portfolio, or a PDF portfolio that can be shared.