Roku ⟩ UX Product Designer
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is looking for an experienced Interaction Designer who can craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences for our 40M+ users around the world.
Great user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture on the macro side while still maintaining an incredible attention to detail on the micro side. More than ability to keep the vision while managing the minutiae: We need someone who can play three-dimensional chess on the axes of what our customers need, what our world-class engineers can produce, with the third axis being keeping things as elegantly easy as possible (and no more).
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be - just look at our remote control or user interface - while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. In order to help ship features and products, you will partner with product management and engineering leaders to innovate and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of our user experience. Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for "sloppy." Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego in service of their customers and create the win-win of success for our customers.
You will partner with product management and engineering teams to innovate and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of our user experience.
What you'll be doing
- Partner with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements and provide creative, thoughtful solutions
- Explore a variety of design directions, analyzing the pros and cons of each
- Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process with wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
- Iterate designs based on user feedback and business needs
We're excited if you have
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience as an interaction designer
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process and creating artifacts to document the design and user experience
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
- Proficiency in UX Design tools such as Sketch (or similar) to create user interfaces
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating user-centered design (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for TV
Our unique culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.