Roku ⟩ Director, UX Research
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is looking for an experienced Director of User Research to lead of a team of researchers and prototypers who evaluate user needs and product usability so we can craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences for our 40M+ users around the world.
Great user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture on the macro side while still maintaining an incredible attention to detail on the micro side. More than ability to keep the vision while managing the minutiae: We need someone who can play three-dimensional chess on the axes of what our customers need, what our world-class engineers can produce, with the third axis being keeping things as elegantly easy as possible (and no more).
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be (just look at our remote control or user interface) while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. In order to help ship features and products, you will partner with product management and engineering leaders to innovate and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of our user experience. Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for "sloppy." Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego in service of their customers and create the win-win of success for our customers.
You will partner with design and product management leaders to innovate, evaluate, and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the simplicity and ease-of-use of our products. You are technical, self-managing, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You enjoy collaborating with a diverse team of individuals and embrace differing opinions.
You oversee research and prototyping, but equally focus on building the organization and processes required to consistently deliver high-quality results. You understand the company mission and business strategy and prioritize the team accordingly.
What you'll be doing
- Manage, coach, and inspire a team of researchers, by providing vision and direction
- Attract, retain, and develop a world-class user research team
- Oversee high-quality work in a fast-paced, complex, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Establish and enforce effective research processes that scale
- Lead through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
- Establish trust with cross-functional partners and executive leadership
- Develop a cohesive strategy, and create, plan, and execute research initiatives that influence how we build delightful products
- Formulate research plans and translate findings into actionable insights to drive simple and elegant product solutions to complex technical challenges
- Synthesize customer insights from outside the research team, including collaboration with Customer Support and Ad Measurement
- Develop systems for tracking and improving overall user experience quality
- Partner with product managers, designers, engineers, analysts, and cross-functional stakeholders to contribute to our vision, strategy, and roadmaps, by understanding our customers and how we can best meet their needs and solve their problems
- Occasionally lead research studies yourself
- Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
- Conduct and participate in research reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
We're excited if you have
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience as a manager of researchers
- 5+ years in individual contributor roles, researching user needs for products and services across multiple platforms
- Confidence in the breadth of research methods, including selecting the most appropriate methods for a given problem or question
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the product development process
- Experience guiding teams who are iterating on products and services post-launch based on user data and insights
- Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, relationship-building, and analytical skills
- Proven success influencing leaders of product, design, and engineering
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
- Expert-level knowledge in conducting foundational, formative, and evaluative research using a range of qualitative and quantitative methods such as: usability testing, contextual interviews, field research, surveys, diary studies, focus groups, and remote testing.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating flexibility in applying research methods in varied contexts (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Master's degree in Research, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field
- Quantitative research experience such as A/B testing, SQL, statistical analysis, data analysis, and working with large amounts of data
- Familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to creating products for TV
Our unique culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.