AMBOSS ⟩ Director of Product Design
Today's doctors have to navigate a vast amount of medical knowledge to bring the right information into action. AMBOSS drives excellence in the evolution of medical practice by empowering doctors to identify and activate relevant knowledge. We believe all doctors should benefit from our work including the next generation. We aim for impact - our ultimate goal is to improve the lives of patients. Come join us in fulfilling our mission to empower all doctors to provide the best possible care.
As Director of Product Design at AMBOSS, you'll inspire, develop, and champion a world-class team. You'll create useful, usable, and engaging product experiences and interfaces that our members - physicians, students, enterprise partners, and employees - will love to use. Ultimately, you'll help us illustrate that good design equals good business and healthier outcomes.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Define and oversee design quality, embrace high standards, and facilitate constructive criticism. Establish design operations as practice.
- Help us scale from a design team to a world-class design organization. Work with internal functions to make sure the team is getting the resources they need to succeed, the compensation they deserve in the marketplace, and the career paths they warrant as they grow.
- Be a champion for inclusive design practice, your team, and your function. Manage up and across the org.
- Create an environment where great design can happen. Get the most out of your team through coaching and mentoring.
- Define best practices for collaborating within agile, multi-disciplinary product dev, and medical teams. Engage cross-functional peers to help them understand how the team works, the value design can offer, and opportunities to influence strategic priorities
- Frame the business context for the team and develop the UX strategy in collaboration with product, tech, medical, and business leaders. Provide an integrated view of the company's offerings across user segments, markets, and service journeys. Demonstrate how design's work ties into the larger goals and objectives of the business.
- This role will be primarily centered in, or near, Berlin with support for relocation and home office, flextime, and office abroad (Sardinia, Cologne, NYC) options. Reports to our VP, Product and Design, Chad Jennings, who comes from a design background as well.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Fluency in the range of design practice specialties (Visual UI, interaction design, content design, service design, design research), and the ability to leverage design methods, tools, and processes to sufficiently support each of these design practice specialties in identifying requirements.
- Experience scaling design systems and teams for growth, inclusion, and sustainability.
- Confident communicator; ability to publicly present design perspectives, vision, process, and faceted proposed solutions.
- Deep understanding of and experience in guiding groups through a structured design or knowledge-making process (design thinking workshops, strategy forums, co-creation sessions, design sprints, etc.).
- Skill engaging cross-functional teams to align stakeholder points of view into a cohesive design strategy and realistic scopes of work.
- A genuine appreciation and empathy for the business and technical perspectives that make up cross-functional teams.
- Ability to demonstrate a level of business acumen to align design deliverables with business outcomes.
- Working knowledge of the technologies that influence/inform digital design solutions and opportunities new interface technologies, such as voice, may provide.
- Experienced coaching and mentoring designers and building teams. Managed a team of 6+ including senior individual contributors.
- You probably have at least ten years of experience, possibly worked both in-house and agency side, delivering great work across notable products and brands, particularly consumer and mobile.
The AMBOSS Prescription
- Set your biological clock: Make use of our flextime, home office, and office abroad options (including our new, sunny hub in Cagliari, Sardinia)
- Keep the hemoglobin flowing: Enjoy our fitness and wellness program with a sponsored gym membership.
- Need more serotonin? Get involved in our monthly team events, game nights, hackathons, and healthy weeks for your extra dose of serotonin!
- Keep those synapses firing: Profit from ongoing learning opportunities with our educational seminars, "crosstalks," development programs, and language lunches.
- No risk of high cholesterol here! Dig into freshly cooked lunches, healthy snacks, and wash it all down with the help of our amazing Italian espresso machine.
- Does your doctor recommend time off your feet? Our mobility perks have you covered with a yearly public transportation card.
- Want a little extra exercise? Then choose the sponsored bike instead of the public transportation card.
- Reduce that childcare-associated cortisol build-up: Bring your child along to our AMBOSS Daycare when your Kita is closed, or use it to bridge the gap until you find a Kita spot.
Welcome to AMBOSS!
We have always celebrated diversity and inclusivity and are proud to offer an environment free from limitations based on social categorization. At AMBOSS Apply on Company Site
AMBOSS is a medical education and clinical decision support company striving to empower physicians to provide the best possible care. Since our launch in 2012, we've taken the health tech industry by storm and revolutionized the way physicians acquire their know-how. Using the latest in cutting-edge technology, we've created the most comprehensive study and reference guide on the market!