Macmillan Learning ⟩ UX Research Manager
Macmillan Learning partners with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers to facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We're looking for a User Experience Research Manager to help us transform online education.
The UX Research Manager will lead a team of researchers and coordinators to define our user-research strategy that produces generative and evaluative insights that inform our product vision and support near-term delivery. This person will partner with UX designers, product managers, learning and impact researchers, and data scientists to turn research into actionable user insights.
Location: Due to COVID19, Macmillan Learning is operating remotely until at least June 2021. This role is on-site in our Austin office once we are able to return safely.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the planning and design of user research of all types, both generative and evaluative.
- Collaborate with leadership to define our user-research strategy and oversee the execution of user research that supports the design and development of our products.
- Manage and mentor a team of researchers and coordinators as they operationalize and perform user research.
- Direct researchers in the design and analysis of qualitative studies that identify opportunities by way of actionable insights.
- Work with UX, product, and learning science stakeholders to identify and prioritize research projects.
- Develop goals and success measures to gauge effectiveness of research studies.
- Forecast resource needs to provide necessary capabilities and expertise to support our business goals and objectives.
- Innovate methods for sharing insights that democratize research by making them easily available across the organization and fostering a human-centered culture.
- Share research methodologies and best practices to scale research performed by UX design and product management.
- Create and maintain a library of research findings that democratizes research by making insights easy to share and cite across the organization.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience performing user research in a product-development organization.
- 1+ years experience leading and developing user researchers.
- Expertise in qualitative research and knowledge of quantitative methodologies.
- Experience and knowledge of generative and evaluative research methods.
- Proven record uncovering, synthesizing, and distributing actionable insights that informed product strategy and decisions.
- Experience facilitating cross-functional working sessions and/or workshops with peers and stakeholders.
- Comfortable working with agile and lean software development approaches.
- Highly collaborative with peers, leadership, and direct reports; ability to leave ego at the door.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Experience in education and/or learning practices a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree Required; Master's Degree in human-centered design or similar preferred.
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee's date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision) including PPO, HSA and FSA options
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education's guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.
About Macmillan Learning
Our legacy of excellence in education informs our approach to developing world-class content with pioneering and interactive teaching tools. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Our commitment to teaching and discovery upholds our mission to improve lives through learning.