Macmillan Learning ⟩ Director, Product Design
Macmillan Learning partners with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers to facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that fuel student engagement and improve outcomes. We’re looking for a Director of Product Design to help us transform online education.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of User Experience, you will lead a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team of designers. This person will partner with UX researchers, product managers, and learning scientists to develop innovative, useful user experiences for students and instructors.
Location: Due to COVID19, Macmillan Learning is operating remotely until at least June 2021. This role is on-site in our Austin office once we are able to return safely.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with UX leadership to develop our UX strategy and lead a team of talented designers to execute it in design practice.
- Drive collaboration with partners and build alignment of product, business, and user goals to enable the design of impactful experiences.
- Own the end-to-end design process for project results, engaging decision makers at appropriate times.
- Set up design teams for success by partnering with UX research to perform meaningful discovery work.
- Ensure definition and design phases are advised with best practices and competitive research.
- Oversee multiple projects and scale design resources to support them.
- Mentor designers and help build a culture of career growth and inclusion.
- Contribute to the adoption of product and process improvements.
- Help establish, document, and manage design standards and best practices.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience designing products in a product-development organization.
- 3+ years of leadership experience with direct reports.
- Visual and interaction design experience in product design.
- Experience facilitating cross-functional working sessions and/or workshops with peers and partners.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma, Axure, Sketch, InVision, or equivalent tools.
- Strong interviewing skills with the ability to dig below the surface and gain knowledge and uncover insights on various topics.
- Comfortable working with agile and lean software development approaches.
- Highly collaborative with peers, leadership, and direct reports; ability to leave ego at the door.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Experience in Education or related fields a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required; Master’s Degree in human-centered design or similar preferred
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision) including PPO, HSA and FSA options
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels.You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.
About Macmillan Learning
Our legacy of excellence in education informs our approach to developing world-class content with pioneering and interactive teaching tools. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Our commitment to teaching and discovery upholds our mission to improve lives through learning.