Civilla ⟩ UX Researcher/Designer
Civilla is seeking an experienced UX researcher/designer to join our team. As part of a multi-disciplinary design studio, you'll help us create a human-centered safety net in Michigan. Working directly with government-entities, you'll create experiences that improve the lives of millions of families and children across the state.
At Civilla, you'll be responsible for being the UX research and design expert for our projects, deeply understanding the needs of end users, crafting simple and usable solutions, and actively communicating with our government partners.
You will work holistically across a range of user experience touchpoints-redesigning processes, policies, digital services, and paper forms to improve peoples' ability to access social safety net programs in Michigan.
A successful candidate will be an organized self-starter with solid experience conducting research, developing insights, and designing in complex service environments. You'll lead an approach to research and design that is rooted in equity, building meaningful relationships with the people who are most impacted by your work and checking personal biases and assumptions.
We're looking for a collaborator who is a quick learner, optimistic, and detail-oriented-ready to roll up their sleeves and join a team that's helping to change the way our public-serving institutions work through human-centered design.
Project management - Manage multiple work streams and deliverables within a larger project plan. You will lead research and design, coordinate with various stakeholders, and ensure deliverables are timely.
Design and plan creative research - Using a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods, you will scope research, lead fieldwork, conduct interviews, analyze quantitative data, and do desk research to deliver impact.
Synthesis - Conduct synthesis to identify systems-level patterns and frameworks. You will lead synthesis sessions with the team and our partners to translate research findings into insights that guide design solutions.
Deliver high-quality design work - You will lead Civilla and client teams in the field to design, test, and deliver high-quality design work. You will develop prototypes, wireframes, digital mock-ups, and experiences to support successful project implementation.
Communication and storytelling - You will communicate and tell stories through written, verbal, and visual communications. Working alongside our team, you will make research findings relevant and impactful for our partners through a variety of formats such as presentations, reports, research summaries, videos, and exhibits.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years as a UX researcher/designer in a professional working environment. Experience working in the public sector is preferred.
- Proven ability to scope research, conduct user testing interviews, perform desk research, lead synthesis and communicate findings to stakeholders.
- Strong visual design skills with experience designing digital services. Familiarity with common industry design and collaboration tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Mural, Asana, etc.
- Passionate about researching/designing across a range of user experience touchpoints-including processes, policies, digital services, and paper forms.
- Experience working with or living in low-income communities and building relationships with people from diverse backgrounds. Individuals with personal experience being enrolled in social safety net programs or working as a social worker are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ability to think strategically, assess trade-offs, and make decisions based on insights gathered through research.
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor while remaining open to exploring new methods and approaches.
- Ability to multi-task and hold a variety of responsibilities within complex project plans. Ability to self-manage and effectively prioritize your work is a must.
- An empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset. Ability to build and form strong relationships with our team and partners.
- Strong written/verbal communication and storytelling skills. Ability to conduct research in a second language preferred.
- Open to learning, committed to personal growth, and proactive about seeking feedback.
- A passion for contributing to mission-driven work on a highly collaborative team.
- To Apply - Send your resume, portfolio, and a two-minute video (or audio file) introducing yourself and why you're excited about this role. We will accept applications until June 4th.
- Structure - This is a full-time contract position for 6 months with the potential to transition to a permanent role. The position is scheduled to start in August/September 2021.
- Location - Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Civilla team is currently remote. Our design studio is based in Detroit, Michigan and we anticipate returning to in-person work by Fall 2021. While we prefer candidates who are currently in Detroit or willing to relocate, we are open to this being a remote position for the duration of the 6-month contract. It will transition to an in-person role if a permanent offer is made.
- Salary - $6,250/month
- Come as you are - Civilla values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, minorities, people with disabilities, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
- Civilla is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- Civilla cannot sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
- For further questions, reach out to email@example.com