Alation ⟩ Senior Product Designer
As a Senior Product Designer in the data governance space, you’ll help solve some of the most challenging and complex problems facing companies today. You’ll design new ways to improve data consistency, trustworthiness and security to ensure that knowledge workers have access to the information they need.
Deep experience in data governance isn’t required, but experience in building collaborative or workflow-oriented applications (such as CRM, content management, finance or planning software) is strongly desired.
Our Product Design team is a tight-knit, collaborative group. We take our team values seriously — they are a huge part of what makes this a great place to work. Take a look and see if they feel like a good fit for you. You can learn more about us at our design team site: www.alation.design
Please include a portfolio when applying.
What you'll be doing:
- Conduct competitive and primary research to understand the product space, specifically what users need to be successful.
- Work closely with the data governance product management director to illustrate and define our product vision and strategy.
- Collaborate with product managers, other designers, and engineers on projects that reach across the platform to address data governance needs.
- Design experiences that are as thoughtful and easy to use as any consumer-facing experience would be. We pride ourselves on building an experience a novice can use without training, that is even more powerful in the hands of an expert.
- Mentor and coach other designers, helping us grow our team and lay the groundwork for great design for years to come.
- Contribute to the evolution of Alation's design system.
You should have:
- 5-7 years experience working as a product designer on complex consumer or enterprise applications, preferably workflow or process oriented.
- Experience performing research at both the exploration and validation stages of a project. We consider the ability to perform primary research as a core function of the design process.
- Strong communication and listening skills with both internal and external audiences. For many of our customers, you will be the face of the product.
- An ability to articulate what makes an experience useful or effective – grounded in user empathy and insights.
- Demonstrated experience applying core visual design concepts: e.g. composition, balance, symmetry, and white space.
- Ability to incorporate and respond to feedback with an editorial sense. You seek inputs to your work and make connections across teams, projects and functions.
- Growth mindset and an ability to work within a rapidly changing environment.
Big Data isn't a problem. It's an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data, so they not only excel in their work - they drive value for their enterprise, team and role. In the words of one customer, "Alation makes me look like a rockstar."
More than 250 enterprises drive data culture, improve decision making, and realize business outcomes with Alation, including AbbVie, American Family Insurance, Cisco, Exelon, Finnair, Munich Re, New Balance, Pfizer, Scandinavian Airlines, and US Foods. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces list and is backed by leading venture capitalists including Blackstone, Costanoa, Data Collective, Dell Technologies, Icon, ISAI Cap, Riverwood, Salesforce, Sanabil, Sapphire and Snowflake Ventures.
With more than $217M in funding - valued at $1.2 billion, Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Our exceptional Glassdoor ratings reflect a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy.