Alibaba.com ⟩ Content Strategist
The Alibaba.com New York office is looking for a content strategist to help build core platform products and services for both a global and local U.S. audience. The content strategist will be embedded on several multinational product teams, and will partner with product management, UX design, research, marketing, sales, and legal to deliver product experiences that are simple, intuitive, and useful.
The content strategist will also contribute to building foundational content strategy infrastructure, style guides, and processes to help define, implement, and oversee writing and content standards at Alibaba.com.
The most successful candidate will be resourceful, comfortable facing adversity, welcomes and adapts to change quickly, and can work with and take feedback from colleagues with different cultural backgrounds, personal styles, and professional levels and positions. Our small New York team has a growth mindset and is known for moving fast and breaking things. This means everyone steps outside their role at times in order to learn more about our users or help develop products.
• Plan, write, and edit product copy and content, including (but not limited to!) interface language, product names, educational material, microcopy, product marketing, emails, and tutorials
• Create, document, and maintain foundational content strategy, writing guidelines and word lists to be used across the organization and ensure consistent product experiences
• Identify content opportunities and offer strategic and innovative solutions to influence decisions at all levels of the organization - and advocate for the user throughout the product development process
• Participate in user research and synthesis to understand the audience's needs and balance them with business goals
• 5+ years of relevant user-focused writing and strategy
• 3+ years of experience working specifically on digital products
• Native English experience, plus excellent grammar and attention to detail
• Please include a link to a portfolio or samples of your work that show UX-focused writing experience across different content types. Think: user interfaces, educational content, microcopy, email sequences, or style guides.
• Experience working on financial or logistics-focused products & services, preferably B2B
• Experience creating content and copy at both corporations and start-ups, either in a direct or consulting role
• Experience with localization/translation, especially Chinese to English
• Experience working with a cross-border, global team
• Able to embrace change, work with flexibility and agility
• Strong communicator - manage upwards and downwards and communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders across functions and geographies
• Passionate about helping small businesses
- Alibaba.com, the original business within Alibaba Group, is the largest B2B marketplace in the world -- It connects 60 million buyers and suppliers in 190 countries and regions across 40 major product categories, and it's one of the world's top 3 most-visited business websites
- Our NYC-based team is rapidly globalizing Alibaba.com, growing it for and among global customers (with an initial emphasis on North American customers), and leading it to triple-digit growth
- We are expanding our products and services to help small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) operate more efficiently, grow more rapidly, and empower their local communities
- Our team is diverse, collaborative, bold, and innovating in a $23.9 trillion global B2B market.