Astreax ⟩ Senior Product Designer
remote US only. Preferred MST or PST. 1 week ago
We’re hiring a Senior Product Designer to help build thoughtful and useful software for a wide range of clients including state governments.
You’ll be a part of a talented, agile team—designing for a modern SaaS application with a funded, multi-year roadmap. You will analyze user behaviors, conduct usability testing, and build prototypes of design solutions—all while iterating and improving the existing product user experience.
Our design objectives are service-based, which lifts the constraints of designing for revenue, screen time, or traffic. Our products are used by a diverse population (larger than typical commercial services) requiring broader considerations of accessibility. We design for usability, clarity, and to make people’s lives easier.
Our design staff is small but growing. You will report to the Design Director and work closely with analysts, strategists, developers, and stakeholders. You will also float between product teams, designing where needed. Initiative, resourcefulness, and autonomy are beneficial for success.
This position is remote, though preferable locations are Phoenix, Tucson, or Bend (Oregon).
There are five key objectives to being successful in this position.
Balance User and Stakeholder Needs
Meet regularly with stakeholders, analysts, and product managers to understand their objectives and goals. Translate their requests into user-centered designs while working within technical considerations and user research.
Design New Experiences
Provide complete design solutions from ideation to execution for new features and products. Effectively present these solutions to high-level internal and external leadership and work closely with development on execution.
Iterate and Improve Existing Experiences
Rigorously review and provide improvements to existing user experiences. Conduct user research (user interviews and testing sessions) to uncover pain points and areas of needed improvement.
Provide Design Oversight and Rigor
Document and correct inconsistent experiences within products. This may relate to language (voice and tone) or inconsistent UI (colors, fonts, interactions, etc.). Work with developers to build and maintain design systems that are practical, functional, and allow us to be efficient with our work.
Be a User-Centered Design Influence within the Organization
Be a shepherd to guide and educate the development team, management, and stakeholders on best practices and user needs. Be visible in the company as a trusted resource for user-centered design. Provide professional guidance to junior-level designers.
Other Helpful Skills and Experience
- Effective writing (in interface design and when communicating internally) is an important part of this position.
- We use Figma, but a familiarity in Sketch/Invision is useful for legacy files.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps Server (formerly Team Foundation Server) to access user stories and tech specs.
- Experience designing for accessibility.
- Experience conducting user interviews remotely.
- Experience and comfort working with geographically distributed teams.
- 5-10 years experience working in professional design and development environments.
- Competitive and generous health benefits (PPO or HSA with dental, vision with voluntary disability/life insurance options.)
- 401k matching
- Flexibility on working location (MST or PST preferred)
- Paid time off with holidays
- Work/life balance
- Focus on opportunities that make the world a better place